The Church by the Sea is committed to promoting and reflecting God’s vision of healing and justice in all of our relationships – personal, environmental and corporate. Therefore, the Mission Committee of the church seeks to create, advocate and support such healing relationships whenever and wherever we can. We do this through our time and participation in such organizations as:
* Habitat for Humanity Habitat for Humanity’s vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live. Its mission is to put God’s love into action by bringing people together to build homes, communities, and hope. www.miamihabitat.org
* PACT (People Acting Together as Community) which is a grass-roots community organizing agency that aims to influence the wider community’s leaders to bring about positive change in our greater Miami Community.
* The Chapman Center in downtown Miami. We serve a meal on the first Wednesday and any fifth Wednesday of every month to anywhere between 300-500 people.
* Community Assistance Meal of the Church by the Sea. We also give of our time and participation to serve the hungry in our immediate neighborhood through our Community Assistance Meal which we offer at a local restaurant every Third Thursday of the month.
* Ruth K. Broad School Carnival. Each year the church supports our local elementary school in their main fundraiser by hosting a food booth at the annual Carnival. The money raised helps keep the Broad School on of the best in Miami-Dade County.
* Annual Bake-Off. This past year we also supported the Ruth K. Broad School in their fundraiser entitled Pride Outside. The school’s playground, having been condemned by the county, spurred the school and its parents to organize a series of fundraisers to build a new state of the art lighted playground for use by the school and the wider communities. In support of their efforts the church undertook a multi-generational “Bake-Off” with all proceeds going to the Pride Outside Playground Fundraiser. The church raised a delicious $1,300 for the school.
* Redlands School for Migrant Farm Workers Families. Each Christmas the congregation gathers toys and clothes for children and donate them to the families in the Redlands school. This act of love and Christmas good cheer warms hearts of the children, their parents and all involved. Typically so many gifts are collected it takes a van to transport them all.
* Samaritan Counseling centers of South Florida. The Samaritan Counseling Centers provide faith sensitive cunseling for individuals, couples and families on a sliding scale. They have offices in many local United Church of Christ churches including an office here at the Church by the Sea.
* Easter Baskets for Homeless Children. Each Easter we gather books, games, stuffed animals, school supplies and yes even candy and create Easter Baskets for children living in the Lotus House a local shelter for women and children. It is important for the children to know that even in difficult times they are remembered and valued. In a small way these baskets help deliver that message.
* Prayer Shawl Ministry. Both the adult and children’s knitting groups at the Church by the Sea make and deliver prayer shawls to those who are home-bound, ailing, experiencing a life transition such as a wedding, baptism or graduation. The shawls are knit with love and prayer and let whoever receives one that they are entwined in the care and love of this community of faith that is the Church by the Sea.
The Church by the Sea supports other organizations financially to assist their good work as they improve the lives of others. These organizations are:
* Riverside Miami
* Switchboard Miami
* United Church of Christ Christmas Fund
* ARC of South Florida
* Habitat For Humanity